Thursday, August 11, 2011

Teenager recently diagnosed with panic disorder..?

Hello. I've been going through episodes of what I now know to be panic attacks for over a year now. I used to just get nauseous or not be able to breathe. Gradually, it progressed to having a "weight" on my chest, dizzyness, sweating, shaking, and me feeling the need to escape from ....well...something. Wasn't sure what it was, but I felt like I was dying. I've been miserable. I also began having suicidal thoughts out of nowhere. This is all largely uncharacteristic for me, and I was too embarrassed to seek help. I'm a perfectionist and didn't want to lose my pride... Here's a girl who's about to become a senior in high school with a 4.0, classical piano training under her belt, 2 jobs, and amazing friends... I didn't want to be seen as "the psycho" who needs to see shrink. I'd already seen one before. Didn't help. After my Nani's (grandma's) death, things just kept getting worse. Life was spiraling out of control. Sleeplessness, weight loss (30 lbs!), and mood swings finally made my incredible boyfriend pull me aside & make me get help again. So, I did last week. Diagnosed with a panic disorder and minor depression. What are some steps I can take towards controlling these attacks b4 I start seeing someone once a month? That's all I can afford on my own as my parents can't help...too many expenses right now. Thanks a million if you read all that. Blessings -Indie G

0 comments:

Post a Comment